Bean to Bar Chocolate
Class Course Certification Workshop India
For the 1st time in india, the Bean to Bar Chocolate Making Certification Class Workshop and Course is now available! Start from the scratch (cocoa beans) and understand how couverture & the final chocolate bar is made using small scale (micro-batch) equipment. In the 4 day bean to bar chocolate making program, we shall discuss, explore and understand the origins of Cacao, Flavour profiles of Cacao and Chocolate, Agricultural requirements/impacts, Harvesting/post harvesting processes, bean to bar making process, Cocoa Butter Pressing, Roast Profiles, Cracking/Winnowing Techniques, Refining, Grinding, Conching, Tempering, Moulding, Adding Flavours, Recipe Formulation, Packaging, Storing & Transportation Infrastructure, various equipment’s, raw materials, scaling up, detailed financials, business plans/scenarios, current market scenario, go to market strategy and pricing/positioning strategy. We have now added Truffle, Bon Bon and Nut Butter making. We would be working with Cocoa beans of Indian origin, and making 3 batches with variations in the recepies during the 4 days. Whats more! A visit to a cocoa farm on the 2nd day is included (we may not have cocoa pods in the off season) where you will see the fermentation and drying process. The course is administered by Poonam Chordia & L Nitin Chordia who are both India’s only certified chocolate tasters.
What’s included on Day 1:
- Virtual trip to Cocoa Farm
- Cocoa Varieties
- Cocoa growing Vs Processing Countries
- Introduction to Post Harvesting methods
- Cleaning & Grading Cacao
- Determining quality of Cacao
- How to roast Cacao
- Removing shell & preparing nibs
- Grinding, Refining and conching for flavour
- Introduction to Chocolate tempering and moulding
- Difference between Industrial Vs Micro Batch
- Difference between Pure Vs Compound chocolates
- Definition of Bean to Bar chocolate
- Hands-on live step by step demonstration of chocolate making using small batch equipment
- Small Batch Equipment selection and discussion on Pros & Cons, Limitations of each equipment .
- Hands-on chocolate making steps (Including Roast Profiles, Cracking Techniques, Winnowing Techniques, Grinding, Conching, Tempering, Moulding, Colouring, Adding Flavours)
- Raw Materials discussion – The sources of raw materials & Equipment externally shall not be discussed.
- Grade, Roast, Crack & Winnow Cocoa beans to prepare for making the chocolate.
- Some raw materials and equipment are available at Cocoashala for purchase.
What’s included on Day 2:
- Initiate the making of 3 different batches of chocolate with various Roast, Fermentation & Drying & Profiles.
- Discussion on variations in each step/stage
- Live Demonstration of Cocoa Butter Pressing
- Cocoa Farm Tour (2nd Half)
- Recipe Sheet for you to take home
What’s included on Day 3:
- Discussion on Estimates/Forecast for this business
- Challenges and opportunities in Bean to Bar in India
- Tasting of Indian origin chocolates
- Details of “Point of failure” and “Reasons of Success” at each step/stage of the bean to bar making process
- Tempering Techniques
- “Finish” (Temper, Mould & Demould) all the 3 batches of chocolates
- Chocolate Tasting/Appreciation methodology
- Tasting of the 3 batches of chocolates that we would make
- Tasting of some defective chocolates (and discussion on reasons)
- Business Planning for various capacities including Raw material Costing, loss at each stage and residue strategy.
- Profit & Loss and Business Plan (without Balance Sheet)
- Equipments required when expanding (Pros and Cons)
- Equipment and Capacity Expansion Strategy/approach/tips
- Infrastructure required (for various Capacities)
- Sourcing approach/Tips
- Branding / Marketing / Sales approach/tips and discussion
- Outlook of the current Indian market & forecast
- GAP in the current market
- Detailed discussion on storage, transportation and packaging
What’s included on Day 4:
- Difference between Truffles, Bon Bon, Praline and Praliné
- Introduction to equipment/chocolate required to make Bon Bons
- How to prepare cream and nut based fillings (and how not to!)
- How to make genache, infuse flavors and fill your ganache into moulds and what combinations are the best (and what are NOT!)
- How to make flavoured Bon Bons
- How to make coloured Bon Bons
- Piping of Genache and other fillings
- Chocolate Dipping and toppings
- Art on Chocolate
- How to use transfer sheets using Magnetic Polycarbonate Moulds
- How to conceptualize flavours/fillings and plan for production
- How to use dipping spoons/forks and other basic equipments
- How to decorate using dipping forks and edible decorations
- How to store your chocolate Bon Bons
- How to plate/present your Bon Bons
Who should take this course?
The full length 4 day program has been specially tailored for anyone who wishes to expand their current business or start afresh and become a Micro-batch Bean to Bar Chocopreneur (Chocolate Entrepreneur)!
Duration: 4 continuous Days (8 hours each day with working lunch included) + please keep 1 hour extra in hand. Please refer start time above on each option. The return on the 2nd day from cocoa farm could be by 7PM.
Batch Size: 5 participants
Special Discount during Covid19 (applicable for bookings made untill 15th April 2010):
- 19% on contribution to Government Covid Fund or
- 9.1% for your efforts to help reverse Covid19 !
- Book before 15th April 2020
- Attend anytime during the year!
Payment: Payment to be made atleast 10 working days in advance to help us plan for the course and keep facility available with prior arrangements.
Venue: Cocoashala, 20, Besant Road, Royapettah, Chennai 600014.
Stay & Meal: Stay is not arranged. Vegetarian Working Lunch will be provided by us on the days spent at Cocoashala.
Travel to Cocoa Farm: We shall arrange for a suitable mode of transport to the cocoa farm.
Please clarify any doubts that you may have before making the payment.
Note: We will not be making Milk chocolates during the 4 day workshop. The recipes however would be shared. We would like to focus on flavours of Cacao beans and discussions accordingly. Limited course material will be provided. We would like this to be a practical, Hands-on and highly interactive, engaging and conversational class. You are welcome to bring your notebook but we prefer that you listen to all that we have to say, be hands-on and ask questions rather than taking notes. Treat this like an MBA class where in you will learn and implement the learnings in your journey. We have noticed that the take away for the participant is very less if notes are being taken down. Sourcing of raw materials and equipment discussions are covered in this course (Nitin shall assist as per ability post the course also). A full batch of chocolate could take upto 50 hours to make so we must make some prior preparation to complete a few batches. Post the course phone/email consultation (@ Rs 4000 per hour) would be charged extra at actuals.
EMI Options (Based on popular request):
The EMI Options/Procedure are:
- The candidate chooses the date on which the class is scheduled and informs Cocoashala.
- The candidate is requested to pay the same (via bank IMPS/NEFT transfer) in 2 equal instalments of the entire course fee.
- The final instalment should have been paid 1 week before the start date of the workshop
- Once the final instalment is paid, we shall send you confirmation and your slot will be registered.
- We shall provide you an invoice which will confirm your payment in full. In case you are GST registered we shall include your GSTIN on the invoice.
- The candidate shall inform at each stage when the payment has been done.
- The registered slot is transferable only once (in case the candidate cant attend on that particular date for any reason). This will be based on availability and Cocoashala shall inform you about the availability of the next batch.
- Please ask for bank details
Distance to Cocoashala during Non Peak time from:
- Airport: 45 Minutes
- Central Railway Station: 30 Minutes
- Egmore Railway Station (Not very commonly used station): 30Minutes
Distance to Cocoashala during Peak time from:
- Airport: 75 Minutes
- Central Railway Station: 40 Minutes
- Egmore Railway Station (Not very commonly used station): 40Minutes
Some Hotels close to Cocoashala: (Please do your own research too! We do not have any business relationship with these hotels. You would still have to use an Uber)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/ehotel.en-gb.html (Most Recommended – less than 2 Km from Cocoashala)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/new-woodlands-chennai.en-gb.html (less than 1 Km from Cocoashala – Pure Vegetarian; Old style rooms)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/savera.en-gb.html (Less than 1 Km from Cocoashala)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/raj-park.en-gb.html (Less than 1 Km from Cocoashala)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/zostel-chennai.en-gb.html (This is an affordable hostel in case anyone is interested in a hostel bunker bed experience.